Monday 3 December 2012

between the cracks

'Between the cracks'

Between the cracks began as an exploration into the predominantly derelict district of Ancoats in Manchester. Exploring the area gave me a new fascination in the hidden beauty that surrounds us but is very rarely seen. Every day we pass by images of sheer beauty but do not notice. Here I looked beyond the cracks at the treasures hidden within.

                                   

I began to look at the connections between waste and destruction. I decided to try and fight the negative connotations associated with ageing and deterioration by showing the value that can still be found within. I used gold leaf on slip cast dishes and jewellery. The slip ware is fragile and represent the fragile state of humanity and all that surrounds us. The gold leaf cracks represent the wealth of beauty that holds us together, is hidden under a mask of decay and brings hope into a world where hope can often be seen as lost.


I have explored the hidden histories, the lives that have been forgotten and the stories that are left untold. The cracks in my pieces should encourage the buyer to question what beauty really is and look closer at the world around them. At this time of year when everyone becomes so wound up trying to make everything perfect for just one day, I believe it is important to be reminded to step back and take a look at the beauty that is already there, appreciate what surrounds them, pay attention to history and really appreciate the little things in life.




No comments:

Post a Comment